My Teaching Experience: Need and Want on Class 9-1



Hello Friends!

I am back with a serious topic now
After done some observation classes on the first week, on the second week I start to help my mentor to teach some classes. One of the classes was on August 16, 2018, in class 9-1. Maybe today's post is kinda like a diary for you friends, but I hope you enjoy and read it until the end 😉


Today I went to school to teach class 9-1 about needs and wants in Economics. Before I start the lesson, I asked them to define the meaning of economics in front of the class as a review of the previous lesson. Then I showed them an Indonesian money, Rupiah, and converted it to Philippine Peso. I also made a list to show them what things that they can buy with that amount of Rupiah money. The students was very interested to know about it. Then I asked them to make a list of things that they usually buy from their pocket money, before I start to explain about how they can manage their money through knowing about needs and wants in economics.

Since class 9-1 only have 25 students, I divided the class into two groups before we start the activity. I asked them to choose the leader for each group. Then I gave them a portfolio named My Business Plan. With that portfolio, each group should discuss about what business they want to make what kind of product they should made, why they want to make it as their product, how can they produce their product, who will be their consumer and where they want to sell and distribute their product.

The students were excited to fill the portfolio. The first group’s product was a strawberry jam. The leader of the first group discussed that they want to make a strawberry jam because they want to utilize the resources, which is strawberry that is available in Benguet. They also want the local citizens of Benguet their workers. I think that was a great idea. By using the local citizens as workers, it can help to decrease the unemployment rate in Benguet Province.
The group representative explain about their product

The second group want to make Cordillera’s traditional food called Pinikpikan as their product. Then they named their product as PinikpiCan stand for Pinikpikan in the can. One of the reason that they want to make PinikpiCan was because they want other Filipino who lived in overseas can also taste their traditional food that may not be able to find in other country in order to reduce the homesick feeling of their county.
 


They were all very brilliant students, right?
I was surprised because they can think widely and critically for their product background. I think it would be great if someday they will make their business plan into reality.

Comments