Summary and Suggestions

Purposes of Practicum
  • To develop student teacher effective teaching-learning skills, attitudes and values.
  • To provide opportunities for student teacher to practice the skills of teaching.
  • To implement our knowledge in different learning society and also different cultures.
Procedures of Practicum
  • Orientation and Class Observation
On this step, I observed teachers’ methods, materials, time management, sources of learning, etc in class during the learning process. The teacher always does the routine activity: greeting, checking attendance, checking the cleanliness, the students seat arrangement, and reviewing. The teacher prepares a power point or a module for the learning media and explain the materials to the students. The teacher also give students a chance to solve the problem, give feedback, and individual assistance.
  • Create lesson plan and Teaching Assistant
Lesson plan made based on the curriculum and students characteristic. By knowing that, the teacher can choose which media, method, and problem solving is the best for the students. Teaching assistant done by following the teacher and helped her to control the class.
  • Teaching in the Classroom
Teaching in the classroom done based on the lesson plan that has been made. Some of the students still need assistance during the problem solving.


Outcomes of practicum
  • For the Students in Philippines
They get experience and knowledge taught by student teacher from Indonesia.
  • For the Teachers in Philippines
The teacher can exchange information about learning processes, materials, topics, methods, etc from different country through the student teacher.
  • For Student Teacher
I got a great new experience living in another country. Teaching there would be a best experience in my life, because I can be an agent of change by exchange the information about education in the Philippines and exchange our culture together. My mind became open, my view became wider toward the society and its components. I am so proud be a part of SEA-Teacher, especially I was placed in Benguet State University.


The Challenges of Practicum
  • Language
I realized that my English skill is not advanced. Sometimes the students didn’t understand about my explanation, sometimes our pronunciation in several words in English was different that can caused misunderstanding.
  • Culture
I actually not really experienced about what people called it as ‘culture shock’, because some parts of the Philippines, could also be found in Indonesia. The differences that make me enough to suffer in there were just, I couldn’t taste the street foods because most of them contain pork, and the university toilets that made me to bring a bottle of water every time I went to the toilet.

Overall impression
I am really proud to be a part of this program, especially I was placed in La Trinidad, Benguet. People in Benguet, especially people in Benguet State University gave me new experiences that I have never felt before. They were kind, friendly, care, helpful, and willing to share knowledge about everything beside of teaching. The students at BSU-SLS were very enthusiastic and active in learning. After graduate from this program, I will looking for another program that can help me to develop my communication, leadership and public-relation skills, such as Model United Nation. I also want to go back to Benguet to meet my ‘family’ there.

Suggestion for the Future Improvement
  • For Student Teacher
The students teacher must be open minded when you are in a different environment. You also have to prepare material well in English, and other languages to anticipate if your students are not used to using English at their school.
  • For SEAMEO
The criteria of the blog writing should be clearly so that the student teachers are not confused about it.

Comments